» Sponsors

Please patronize our sponsors and tell them you saw them on Huntley Neighbors!

Food Huntley Backyard Garden Project

Huntley Backyard Garden Project

Living in a subdivision means that we don't have room to plant a large veggie garden. That's where this group comes in. Someone might plant tomatoes, someone carrots, and another may have apples. The idea is that we share in whatever harvest we are capable of growing.

The group is open to anyone in Huntley and the surrounding areas so please join and invite your friends.

We're brand new and waiting for like minded people to help in developing guidelines. I have my own ideas but I want to hear what you think.

I think this is a great idea...I currently have too many tomatoes from my small backyard garden and love the idea of sharing! This year we were successful with tomatoes, beans and cucumbers. It would be great to add to a communal harvest.

Thanks Michelle.
    I figured if we formed the group now, it would give us enough time to organize and plan for the spring.

I think this is a great idea. My wife Jen and I have been talking about starting a garden and would love to be a part of this.
    Zack Uidl
    zack@zackuidl.com
    http://huntleyguitarlessons.com

FREE Guitar/Music Lessons available in downtown Huntley! Hear what some students have to say here:

STUDENT SPOTLIGHT

Yes!! Sounds great. We have two gardens and end up throwing vegtables away. We had jalapeños coming out of our ears. Let me know what I can do

That's great, Zach and Riley!! Welcome. Here is the Facebook group if you'd like to join. It's our first year so we're still very small. Don't let that deter you. By early Spring I hope to gain more interest. Please just spread the word. Invite your friends, family, and neighbors.

Morrison (about two hours west of here) has run a community garden for several years. You might consider contacting them to see what has worked for them. http://www.thecity1.com/features/all...gardening.html

Great idea. Sun City has one off Clanyard/Briar Hill. I did it one summer and it was back breaking work due to the clay in the soil, bugs flying around from the wetland areas, and people stopping their cars and stealing(no cameras, etc.). There are several pumps for watering. In spite of what I just wrote, we managed to bring in lots of vegetables and what we couldn't use we donated to the Grafton Food Pantry. You will probably need to have a point person, areas sectioned off, agreement on watering, spraying, etc., some security measures built in, and if you want to charge a small fee for any extra expenses which crop up(no pun intended).

Involved in Huntley